Skip links and keyboard navigation

Blackbutt War Memorial (Digger)

Description

The sandstone monument features a life-sized Australian Infantry soldier standing at ease and resting one hand on the tree trunk support. Similar to Digger statues ofForest Hill, Murgon and Tiaro memorials, which were also prepared by Lowther and Sons. It stands on a circular concrete base.

The Memorial was unveiled on April 24th 1920 by the Chairman of the Nanango Shire Council J.A.Lee. The column is about 14 ft high surmounted by an AIF figured carved by Lowther of Ipswich for £200. Other plaques around the memorial list the names of 81 WWI soldiers, of which 3 have a K scratched beside them, bringing the total killed to 19 for a small community. Lieut. Dimmock was in charge of the guard of honour.

Location
Intersection of Coulson and Hart Streets - 15km east of Yarraman (D'Aguilar Highway), Blackbutt Qld 4306

Location of Blackbutt War Memorial (Digger)

Inscription

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE

(Refer to additional images for further details)

Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914-1918
Memorial type
Statue
Additional information

This memorial has outstanding significance: as an example of the work of Charles Lowther, of Lowther and Sons, who served in Palestine in the 11th Australian Light Horse; as an historical record of local participation and sacrifice in WWI.

Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor/ Annette Schumacher (Regional Council)
Date recorded
20 March 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 15 memorials within postcode 4306.