Skip links and keyboard navigation

Forest Hill War Memorial (Digger)

Description
The impressive sandstone monument rises to a height of approximately 4.5 metres and is surmounted by a life-sized statue of an Australian infantry soldier standing at ease and resting one hand on the tree trunk support - the pose repeatedly used by Lowthers for their war memorials and possible a unique Queensland variant of the familiar soldier statue. The tall pedestal is circular and has a recessed portion with a moulded laurel wreath and five small columns. The monument rests on a concrete stepped foundation and a rusticated base of brown sandstone, in contrast with the white sandstone used for the pedestal and statue. There is a metal flagstaff in front of the monument, while the memorial reserve is surrounded by a fence of posts and chains.
Location
Gordon and Victoria Streets, Forest Hill - 15km east of Gatton, Forest Hill Qld 4342

Location of Forest Hill War Memorial (Digger)

Inscription
Around the pedestal are fixed the five original leaded marble plates which bear an AIF badge, a Biblical inscription, and then the names of the 97 men from Forest Hill and District who served in WWI, including the 11 fallen. A plate recording the 12 who fell in WWII has been added to the pedestal.
Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914-1918
Second World War, 1939-1945
Memorial type
Statue
Additional information

The Forest Hill War Memorial was erected by the Forest Hill Memorial League in 1921, in a small reserve adjacent to the railway line.

The masons for the monument were PJ Lowther and Sons of Brisbane, who were also responsible for memorials in Brisbane (the pedestal for the South African memorial), Blackbutt, Murgon, Goodna, Mount Perry and Tiaro. It is possible that the monument was actually carved by Charles Lowther, sculptor son of this Brisbane masonry family, and an ex-serviceman who fought with the Australian Light Horse in the First World War.

The monument cost 300, and was unveiled by five mothers of fallen soldiers. A plate with the names of World War 2 servicemen was added at a later stage.

Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
10 March 2009