Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital

Description
Original building two-storey cream concrete with ochre trim, with white casement windows. Larger modern extensions at rear, the tallest reaching five stories at the Boundary Street frontage. Plaques located next to main entrance in Bradley Street.
Location
Wickham Terrace and Bradley Street, Spring Hill Qld 4000

Location of St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital

Inscription
Pause and remember – St. Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital built by The Presbyterian Church of Queensland is a memorial to men and women who died or who suffered privation in the service of our country in The World War 1914 – 1919 The World War 1939 – 1945 The Korean War 1050 – 1953 “These laid the world away”
Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914-1918
Second World War, 1939-1945
Korean War, 1950-1953
Vietnam War, 1962-1972
Memorial type
Building
Additional information

A statewide fundraising appeal lasting nearly ten years, including house-to-house doorknocking, raised funds to purchase the Terrace Hospital and expand its facilities. The foundation stone was laid on 14 May 1949 by Sir William Glasgow. The new hospital with 80 beds opened to the public on 17 May 1958.

Hospital web-site - http://www.uchealth.com.au/sawmh/

The hospital Administration Building is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register.

Recorded by
Lesley McBurney
Date recorded
29 August 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 168 memorials within postcode 4000.