Skip links and keyboard navigation

Stanthorpe Soldiers Memorial (WWI Pavilion)

Description
World War I pavilion is on a rocky hilltop overlooking Stanthorpe. The pavilion is like a small house, with seating around both sides and honour boards on the walls. The Southern Cross and other stars are painted in gold on the light blue ceiling, and an Australian flag was originally painted on the floor. When people objected to WALKING ON THE FLAG it was not repainted after it had faded. The area around the WWI memorial has been built up to make a flat, fenced area, and entry is by climbing up a series of rocks and steps.
Since 1921 a Chauvel family home named El Arish has backed on to this unusual memorial.
Location
59km south of Warwick, Minna and Lock Streets - on a rocky hill overlooking Stanthorpe, Stanthorpe Qld 4380

Location of Stanthorpe Soldiers Memorial (WWI Pavilion)

Inscription
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL 1914-1919
Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914-1918
Second World War, 1939-1945
Korean War, 1950-1953
Vietnam War, 1962-1972
Memorial type
Building
Commemorative services held

Yes - originally the main ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day Services were held at this memorial. Due to the isolated nature and physically difficult climb to reach the site, especially for Veterans, the main services were relocated to the site of the original WWII memorial, at Weeroona Park, Marsh St, in the centre of the town.

Additional information

Centres around Stanthorpe were named after battle areas in France where Australian soldiers fought with honour in WWI, and HRH the Prince of Wales opened the Amiens branch line to the Soldier Settlement area in July 1920. Railway station names of these centres and an original phone box from Amiens are on display at the Historical Society, High Street, due to the efforts of R and J Harslett and family.

A war trophy originally displayed at the WWI memorial on top of the hill is now located outside the Stanthorpe Sub-Branch RSL Services Club Inc. in Marsh Street. It was deteriorating badly so the RSL President manufactured new wheels and generally restored it before repainting it in its correct colours. The gun is a WWI Turkish 7.5cm or 7.7cm field gun.

Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
17 March 2009

Nearby memorials