Skip links and keyboard navigation

The Brisbane Club In Memoriam WWI Honour Board

Description
Ornate timber Honour Board located on the second floor of the Brisbane Club. The memorial complements another World War I Honour Board that hangs opposite, in the lift foyer. The Board commemorates 22 individuals, in two columns, who as members of the Club enlisted and made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. There are a number of sets of common family names listed. The facade displays a columnar and capitol arrangement and the text is scripted in gold paint. There is a dedication at the base of the memorial which was unveiled by Walter Thomas Robertson MBE, of Indooroopilly.
Location
Brisbane Club Tower, 241 Adelaide Street, Brisbane Qld 4000

Location of The Brisbane Club In Memoriam WWI Honour Board

Inscription

1914 THE GREAT WAR 1919
ROLL OF HONOUR

IN MEMORIAM

[NAMES] [NAMES]

UNVEILED BY W.T. ROBERTSON MBE

3RD MARCH 1921

Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914-1918
Memorial type
Honour Board
Additional information

In 1903, a Certificate of Incorporation was issued and The Brisbane Club was formed with an inaugural membership of 45. The Club's first President was Edward D Day who was also the General Manager of the Royal Bank of Queensland, the Club's first bankers. Many mergers later, it became the National Australia Bank which is still the Club's bank today.

The Club had two temporary homes before its establishment in Adelaide Street in 1916. Little is known of the Club's activities during the Second World War. It gave generously to various Patriotic Funds and made its facilities available for any function which would help the war effort. A regular visitor to the club was American General Macarthur, who has his headquarters on the corner of Edward and Queens Streets.

In March 1977, the Club was presented with its own armorial bearings design and a hand-inscribed and embellished document testifying to its providence and authenticity by the York Herald, Dr Swan. The principal elements of the coat-of-arms are the Stafford Knot, five pointed stars, the crest, shields, helmet and motto - all with relevance to the Club and the State of Queensland.

Over the years the Club has always taken a leadership role within the business community. After 95 years as an exclusively men's organisation, the members voted at an Extraordinary General Meeting on 14th December 1998 to admit women to membership of the Club.
(Source: The Brisbane Club)

Recorded by
Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
Date recorded
1 December 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 168 memorials within postcode 4000.