Skip links and keyboard navigation

Goondiwindi War Memorial Gates

Description

The Memorial Gates consist of two main brick columns and two smaller on the right and left with green flagpoles. Between the two main columns are a set of double gates both with the Rising Sun badge. Single gates are also attached to the right and left of the main columns.

Honour Roll and other plaques are inserted to the front of columns.

Location
Lehman Park,Marshall Street, Goondiwindi Qld 4390

Location of Goondiwindi War Memorial Gates

Inscription

Black lettering on both main columns read:

WORLD

WAR II

1939

-

1945

Each column bares a cast bronze plate:

GOONDIWINDI

AND DISTRICT

WAR MEMORIAL

ROLL OF HONOUR

[NAMES]

The left column has a cast bronze plate:

THESE MEMORIAL GATES

WERE UNVEILED BY

MAJOR GENERAL SIR THOMAS WILLIAM GLASGOW

K.C.B., C.M.C., D.S.O., V.D.

ON 18TH APRIL 1949

The right column has additinal plates for WWII names (amended) and Vietnam.

Another plaque read:

Citizens of Goondiwindi and District Remember V.E. DAY 1945-1995 and V.P. DAY 1939 1945.

(refer to additional images for list of names)

Conflicts commemorated
Second World War, 1939-1945
Vietnam War, 1962-1972
Memorial type
Gate/Arch
Commemorative services held

Anzac Day Dawn Service is held at the WWI War Memorial, and a Remembrance Day service is held at 11a.m.

Additional information

In 1949, the WWII Memorial Gates were erected by the Goondiwindi War Memorial Committee. At the same time the WWI War Memorial was relocated from Herbert Street to its current location and has been axially aligned with the Memorial Gates, which truncate the street corner. This has created a memorial precinct, and from the street corner the monument is framed by the gates and surrounded by trees and parkland.

The memorial gates are constructed with sandstone pillars and decorative steel gates, and comprise a central gateway flanked by two smaller gateways. The pillars have sandstone nibs, and are topped with rectilinear octagonal light fittings. The gates have circular motifs and crests. The cost of relocating the WWI Memorial and erecting the gates was in excess of 2 844.

The Gates were unveiled in April 1949 by Sir Thomas William Glasgow. At the completion of the ceremony the keys of the gates were handed to Alderman F Vetter, symbolic of the town accepting responsibility and custody of the memorial. The designer of the gates is unknown.

The Goondiwindi War Memorial and Memorial Gates are listed on the Queensland Heritage Register (Place ID: 600532)

Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
5 March 2009

Nearby memorials