Skip links and keyboard navigation

9th Battalion (Moreton) Regiment Plaque

Description
Brass plaque dedicated to the memory of Officers and Men who paid the supreme sacrifice during the Second World War 1939-1945. The simple plaque displays the Dividional colour patch at the top.
Location
Shrine of Memories, ANZAC Square, Brisbane Qld 4000

Location of 9th Battalion (Moreton) Regiment Plaque

Inscription

[Colour patch]

9TH BATTALION (MORETON) REGIMENT

AUSTRALIAN MILITARY FORCES

TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF OFFICIERS AND

MEN WHO PAID THE SUPREME SACRIFICE DURING

THE PACIFIC CAMPAIGN

1939 - 1945

LEST WE FORGET

Conflicts commemorated
Second World War, 1939-1945
Unit Memorials
Memorial type
Plaque
Commemorative services held
The Shrine is utilised fror4 commemorative events.
Additional information

After the First World War the defence of the Australian mainland lay with the part-time soldiers of the Citizens Military Force (CMF), also known as the Militia. The Militia was organized to maintain the structure of the First AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The Militia units were distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised and consequently also known by the name of their shire. Thus, the 9th Infantry Battalion was the "Moreton Regiment". However, during the 1930s little was spent on defence and the Militia had few volunteers. The 9th merged first with the 15th Infantry Battalion to form the 9th/15th Infantry Battalion. In 1934 it merged with the 49th Battalion to form the 9th/49th Infantry Battalion.

In February 1940 the 9th/49th went into camp at Redbank, west of Brisbane, where it received its first quota of recruits who had been called-up for compulsorily service. The 9th/49th then moved to Chermside, a northern suburb of Brisbane, where it joined the 15th, 25th, and 61st Battalions of the 7th Brigade. Full-time duty was introduced for the brigade in September 1940 and the following month, when the brigade was brought up to strength, the 9th/49th was separated into its two respective units. The 7th Brigade spent 1941 conducting training and exercises at Chermside. After Japan entered the Second World War, the 7th Brigade prepared defensive positions around Caloundra on 7 December 1941. In May 1942 it moved to Rollingston, north of Townsville, to defend the area against a possible Japanese landing. In July and August the brigade moved to Milne Bay, at the south-east tip of New Guinea.

The 9th was not involved in the initial fighting but took part in the Australian counter-attack on 31 August, moving across the Gili Gili No. 3 airstrip to the Gama River to help protect the 2/12th Battalion. Fighting continued throughout the afternoon and into the early hours of 1 September. The battle was over by 7 September. The 7th Brigade remained at Milne Bay until March 1943 when it was transferred to Donadabu, near Port Moresby, and continued training. In November the brigade was progressively returned to Australia and granted leave until February 1944 when it regrouped on the Atherton Tablelands. The brigade returned to New Guinea in July, garrisoning the Madang area before being transferred to Torokina in Bougainville in November. About one-third of the men in the brigade were veterans of Milne Bay. The campaign was over for the 9th. Some members were involved in the surrender ceremony in Torokina. The battalion was finally disbanded on 12 December 1945.

Battle Honours
South-West Pacific 1942-1945, Artillery Hil|Mosigetta, Hongorai River, Puriata River

(Source: Australian War Memorial - www.awm.gov.au)

Recorded by
QLD War Memorial Register
Date recorded
14 April 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 168 memorials within postcode 4000.