Skip links and keyboard navigation

Maryborough Walkers Shipyards Memorial

Description
On 14.8.1993 a memorial to RAN personnel was dedicated at a Combined Ships Reunion, commemorating all Naval ships built by Walkers of Maryborough and their personnel.
Location
Macalister Street, Maryborough Qld 4650

Location of Maryborough Walkers Shipyards Memorial

Inscription

MARYBOROUGH CITY COUNCIL / WALKERS SHIPYARDS COMPLETED THEIR FIRST NAVEL SHIPS IN 1887. THESE WERE THE "BONITO". STINGAREE", "PUMBA", "BREAM" AND THE "DOLPHINE". / BETWEEN 1940 AND 1974, THIRTY-ONE SHIPS WERE LAUNCHED INTO THE MARY RIVER JUST UPSTREAM FROM HERE. THEY WERE BUILT FOR THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY BY AUSTRALIAN WORKERS AT WALKERS SHIPYARDS. / THE SHIPS AND THEIR CREWS SERVED OUR NATION WITH HONOUR. EACH PLAYING A PART IN THE NAVEL HISTORY OF AUSTRALIA AND ADDING A CHAPTER TO THE HERITAGE OF MARYBOROUGH. THE SHIPS WERE, / (Name of Ships) / DEDICATED ON THE 14-08-1993 BY EX-CREW MEMBERS IN RECOGNITION OF THE SHIP'S PROUD CONTRIBUTION TO THE WARTIME DEFENCE AND PEACETIME PROTECTION OF AUSTRALIA AND IN APPRECITION OF THE SHIPYARD AND WORKERS WHO PROVIDED THOSE FINE SHIPS. / ALDERMAN ALAN BROWN / MAYOR / MR NOEL GORRIE / CITY ADMINISTRATOR

(Refer to additional images for inscription of other plaques)

Conflicts commemorated
Second World War, 1939-1945
Malayan Emergency, 1948-1960
Korean War, 1950-1953
Indonesian Confrontation 1962-66
Vietnam War, 1962-1972
Memorial type
Structure
Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
4 March 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 15 memorials within postcode 4650.