Redland Bay War Memorial
The sandstone draped obelisk with crossed rifles stands on a typical Petrie base, with Redland Bay Roll of Honour carved into the sandstone. The list of 8 names, not in alphabetical order, is headed by J M Lovatt (ANZAC) and J Gibson (ANZAC). It is rare that ANZACS are so named on local war memorials. A further marble plaque carries 10 names, not in alphabetical order, and under that is a second plaque listing 7 names in alphabetical order, including one female.
The memorial is surrounded by paving, and concrete corner posts have been retained from the original setting. The memorial is sett just off the road leading to the ferry (to North Stradbroke Island) and ferry car park.
There is a National Service plaque attached to the memorial, commemorating service from 1951 to 1972 and deaths of 187 National Service personnel.
Main plaque reads: Erected by the members of the Redland Bay Sub-Branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia in memory of their fallen comrades in The Great War 1914-1919.
Refer to additional images for other inscriptions.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Memorial type
- Additional information
Mason was A L Petrie and Son.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/Joy Hinckley and Chris Grealy
- Date recorded
- 10 March 2009