Sheep Station Creek 2/10th Battalion Memorial
A white cairn topped with chimney with a metal plaque inserted on front. The memorial is surrounded by white wooden fence.
IN MEMORY OF 2/10/BN, 18 BDE, A.I.F WHO CAMPED ON THIS SITE. 1942
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Additional information
PRO PATRIA. 2/10 Infantry Battalion (The Adelaide Rifles). This chimney was part of a building constructed by men of the 2/10 Battalion AIF who camped in this area for three months in 1942 and trained in the hills to the north.
The Battalion, a South Australian Unit, also known as the Adelaide Rifles, has history dating back to 1860 and a proud record of service in the South African War, the Great War of 1914/19 and World War II, 1939/45. The Regimental Colours which are laid up in Saint Peters Cathedral, Adelaide, are emblazoned with many Battle Honours including the Landing at Anzac, where the Tenth was at the spearhead of the landing force.
The Adelaide Rifles have always been regarded as Adelaide's own infantry regiment, and in recognition of this, a flag bearing the Corporation Arms is dipped in salute whenever this unit passes the Adelaide Town Hall. The unit was granted the Freedom of the City in 1960 to mark the 100th anniversary of its foundation.
The 2/10th Battalion was formed in November 1939, sailed from Sydney on 5 May 1940 and served in England during the Battle of Britain, moving back to Egypt early in 1941. As part of the 18th Brigade in support of the 9th Division, the Battalion played a prominent role in the defence of Tobruk during the Siege and after further service in Palestine and Syria returned to Australia in March 1942, camping here from early May to 6th August when they moved to Papua New Guinea.
Following the Battle of Milne Bay which was the first defeat of Japanese land forces in the war, the Battalion went on to further victories at Buna and Sanananda, won at the cost of many casualties in conditions of extreme hardship. Of the 760 splendid young men who lived here briefly many were never to see their homeland again. The remnants of the Battalion returned to Australia in March 1943 after losing 237 killed and 319 wounded.
On regrouping the Battalion absorbed the 11th Motor Regiment, mostly NSW and Queensland men who proved their worth as fighting troops by carrying on the best traditions of the Tenth in operations in Ramu Valley during 1944 and a brilliant amphibious operation at Balikpapan in Borneo in July 1945, the final action of the unit which was disbanded on 29 January 1946 after more than six years service during which over 3,400 men passed through the ranks.
This memorial was established by Mrs Ruth Pratten and family, owners of the adjacent property, and residents of Kilcoy as a mark of the esteem in which the unit was held by them, and is maintained by the Kilcoy RSL.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 26 March 2009