South Townsville Centaur Memorial
This grey stone memorial commemorates those who died when the AHS Centaur was torpedoed on 14 May 1943 off the north-eastern tip of Moreton Island, south-east Queensland.
TO THOSE WHO PERISHED WHEN THE
HOSPITAL SHIP CENTAUR
WAS TORPEDOED ON 14TH. MAY 1943
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN
THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE
FOR HIS FRIENDS."
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Additional information
Presented by Townsville City Council and dedicated 14 May 1993.
In January 2010 a commemorative plaque was plaid on the deck of the AHS Centaur, following the discovery of the wreck site. The plaque was dedicated to the 268 individuals who perished as a result of the tragedy.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/Vivienne Moran, Curator, Maritime Museum of Townsville
- Date recorded
- 24 March 2009
- 11th Aust Infantry Bde (AIF) Porton Memorial
- 2/2 Battalion Association Memorial
- 31/51 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour
- 31st Infantry Battalion Memorial
- 3rd Cavalry Regiment Memorial
- 4th Field Regiment RAA Memorial
- Anzac Way War Memorial
- Australian Air Crews Memorial
- Battle of the Coral Sea Memorial
- City Administration Honour Board