South Townsville Royal Australian Navy WWII Memorial
The memorial is a tri-panelled plinth, displaying plaques and insignia recognising the Royal Australian Navy personnel who were killed or wounded in the Asia-Pacific area during the Second World War 1939–1945. It is positioned on a tiled base, with brass plaque inserted at the top of the centre panel and a black symbolic anchor attached below. The two larger plaques inserted on the side panels indicate the vessels and associated entities that were lost during the conflict (left), and the RAN insignia and dedication on the right panel.
Memorial To Royal Australian Navy Personnel
killed or wounded
in the Asia-Pacific area during World War II.
TO ALL THE BRAVE SAILORS
WHO SERVED TO SAVE AUSTRALIA FROM INVASION.
THIS COMMUNITY HONOURS YOU AND GIVES YOU
IT'S HEARTFELT THANKS.
LEST WE FORGET
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Additional information
- Recorded by
- Vivienne Moran, Curator, Maritime Museum of Townsville
- Date recorded
- 24 March 2009
- 11th Aust Infantry Bde (AIF) Porton Memorial
- 2/2 Battalion Association Memorial
- 31/51 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour
- 31st Infantry Battalion Memorial
- 3rd Cavalry Regiment Memorial
- 4th Field Regiment RAA Memorial
- Anzac Way War Memorial
- Australian Air Crews Memorial
- Battle of the Coral Sea Memorial
- City Administration Honour Board