St Andrew's Uniting Church War Memorial Window

Location of St Andrew's Uniting Church War Memorial Window

St Andrew's Uniting Church, Ann and Creek Streets
Brisbane QLD 4000

A stained glass war memorial window is located in the northern wall of the church. Titled "The Crucifixion", the work consisting of three long vertical panels, is the centrepiece of a group of three depicting the life of Christ. It was donated by William Robert Black and dedicated in August 1922 in memory of the Fallen of the Congregation during the Great War. This memorial recognised the spiritual link between the living of the church and the heroic war dead.

Inscription

[Stained glass panel][Stained glass panel][Stained glass panel]

WOMAN TO THE BEHOLD

BEHOLD THY SON GLORY OF GOD THY MOTHER

AND THE MEMORY OF

OUR BELOVED

WHO FELL

IN DUTY'S CAUSE

1914-1919

THIS WAR MEMORIAL WINDOW WAS DONATED

ON THE OCCASION OF THE DIAMOND JUBILEE OF THIS CONGREGATION

BY WILLIAM ROBERT BLACK AUGUST 1922

Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914–1918
Memorial type
Artwork/window
Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day
Additional information

The other stained glass windows in the northern wall are "The Nativity" on the left and "The Ascension" on the right of the war memorial window. The three works were designed and created by the Melbourne firm, Brooks Robinson. Rev Dr Ernest Merrington served as Senior Chaplain at Gallipoli and was Minister at St Andrew's from 1910 to 1923.

Recorded by
Noel Adsett, Chairman, Heritage Committee, St Andrew's Uniting Church
Date recorded
28 January 2010

Nearby memorials

List all 167 memorials within postcode 4000.