St Patricks College Honour Roll

Location of St Patricks College Honour Roll

St Patricks College entrance gate, River Street
Mackay QLD 4740

Marble inlaid with lead names on concrete wall remnant of the former school building now demolished. The Honour lists a total of 116 names (115 x 1939–1945, 1x post war), 11 Deaths (10 x 1939–1945, 1 x post war)

Inscription

Refer to additional images.

Conflicts commemorated
Second World War, 1939–1945
Memorial type
Honour roll
Additional information

St Patricks College was originally founded in 1929 as a Christian Brothers College and an all-boys school. The school was situated on the Gregory Street side of where the current school is. In the late 1800s, the river side of todays St Patricks College was occupied by St Josephs school. When the Sisters of St Joseph moved to North Mackay, the Christian Brothers acquired the river side land. On the river side was CBCs primary school and on the Gregory Street side was CBCs secondary school. During a renewal process, the school became known as St Patricks Christian Brothers College. In 1987 St Patricks became what it is today. A renewal process resulted in Our Lady of Mercy College (an all-girls school) becoming a co-educational school for lower high school (grades 8-10) and St Patricks becoming a co-educational school for upper high school (grades 11 and 12.)
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org)

Recorded by
Glen Hall, Mackay Historical Society
Date recorded
4 March 2009

Nearby memorials

List all 23 memorials within postcode 4740.