Anzac Square WWII Memorial
World War II Memorial depicting a nurse tending to a soldier was unveiled by Alderman Jim Soorley, Lord Mayor of Brisbane, and S Q Kay, State President, RSLA, Qld., on the 29th August 1992. Mosaics and memorabilia were added around base in 1993. The memorial is in the style of bronze figures and is in keeping with the other memorials in ANZAC Square. (Refer to additional images)
This memorial is part of a group of memorials situated at Anzac Square, Brisbane. A map is available.
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
The memorial is utilisaed in commemorative events in ANZAC Square.
- Additional information
In 1993 plaques and memorabilia were added around the base of the statue. Plaques honour Voluntary Aid Detachments, Australian Women's Army Service, Australian Women's Land Army, Australian Army Nursing Service, Australian Women's Auxiliary Australian Air Force, Women's Land Army, RAAF Nursing Service, RAN Nursing Service, Australian Army Medical Women's Service, Women's Royal Australian Naval Service. Mosaics form badges, and a water bottle is attached.
A replica Victoria Cross and the citation of VC winner, Corporal Jack French of Crows Nest appear with his photograph. Tribute is paid to SS River Burdekin, and a copy of the Courier Mail 24 January 1941 outlines the Tobruk victory.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 2 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque