The Pacific Islands Regiment Plaque
Brass plaque dedicated to the soldiers of Australia, Papua and New Guinea who have served and died in The pacific Islands Regiment. The plaque remembers three main eras in the unit's history:
1. 1949 - 1947 - Papuan Infantry Battalion and the 1, 2 and 3 New Guinea Infantry Battalions, whose members served and died in the campaigns of the Second World War.
2. 1959 - 1975 - 1 and 2 Battalions, PIR - soldiers of Australia and the territory of Papua and New Guinea during peacekeeping operations.
3. 1975 - present - honouring the soldiers of the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment who guird the Battle Honours won by the Regiment in WWII.
The plaque displays the unit colour patch from WWII and the Regimental insignia.
Refer to image.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Peacekeeping, 1947–present
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- The Shrine is utilised for commemorative events.
- Recorded by
- Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 25 August 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque