United States 5th Air Force Memorial
A cairn memorial and flagpole. The cairn is made up of panels which describe the history of the US 5th Air Force and Medal of Honor winners. Countries and islands where the 5th Air Force served during WWII are Australia, New Guinea, New Britain, Schouten Island (OWD), Biak, Noemfoor, Morotai, Leyte, Tanauan, Angaur, Mindoro, Samar, Luzon, Okinawa, Japan.
UNITED STATES 5TH AIR FORCE MEMORIAL
DEDICATED TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND TO THE MANY THOUSANDS WHO GAVE UP THEIR YOUTH TO SERVE THEIR COUNTRY IN THE U.S. 5TH AIR FORCE DURING WORLD WAR II IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC.
YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED
DEDICATED MAY 8, 1992 - THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE AMERICAN 5TH AIR FORCE - AND THE BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA.
(Refer to additional images on this page for further inscriptions)
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Additional information
On Mothers Day, 8 May 1994, a plaque was added to this memorial honouring women who served at Townsville and the Islands in a hostile environment in or with the 5th Air Force and the Royal Australian Air Force; or with American, Australian, British and Dutch Air Force units who engaged the enemy in the Philippine Islands, Celebes, Borneo, Java and Australia early in World War II.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 24 March 2009
- 11th Aust Infantry Bde (AIF) Porton Memorial
- 2/2 Battalion Association Memorial
- 31/51 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour
- 31st Infantry Battalion Memorial
- 3rd Cavalry Regiment Memorial
- 4th Field Regiment RAA Memorial
- Anzac Way War Memorial
- Australian Air Crews Memorial
- Battle of the Coral Sea Memorial
- City Administration Honour Board