Kurilpa War Memorial Clock and Chimes, plus Honour Board, Kurilpa Library
(On Honour Board inside Library entrance)
THE CLOCK AND CHIMES IN THIS TOWER
WERE ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF KURILPA
AND APPRECIATION OF THOSE WHO ENLISTED FROM
AND WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE GREAT WAR
(81 names listed, see photo of honour board)
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- Additional information
The West End School of Arts, which included a two storey brick building (not extant), was opened on Boundary Street in early 1889.
In 1928-29 a new two storey brick building, the Kurilpa Municipal Library, was added to the south of the School of Arts building, funded by the Brisbane City Council.
A tower was included in the library’s design specifically to accommodate a clock with Westminster chimes – purchased as a soldiers’ memorial with funds raised by the Kurilpa War Memorial Ladies’ Committee.
The clock and chimes, plus an accompanying bronze honour board, were unveiled on 21 April 1929.
- Recorded by
- Paul Granville
- Date recorded
- 23 March 2017