Banyo War Memorial
The memorial is a multi-element arrangement, built around the original flag pole erected in front of the local School of Arts in November 1952. The portion at the eastern end of the block where the Flagpole Memorial stood was donated to the Banyo RSL Sub-Branch and a Fallen Comrades Memorial Wall, paved walkways and gardens were included. Finally an artillery piece, a 25 pounder, was inserted and the gardens designed further, including the planting of memorials tress to the rear of the main memorial structures.
Three plaques representing the Navy, Army and Air Force are attached to a brick Memorial Wall positioned behind the artillery piece. Underneath the three plaques are attached the words "LEST WE FORGET."
Behind the Memorial Wall three Buckinghamia trees were planted by students from the local schools and a grey marble plaque depicting this was placed in front of the middle tree. The plaque was made by T. Wrafter and Sons.
In 2008 a red brick memorial wall was erected on either side of the light-brick centre Memorial Wall. These walls were built by Frank and Wade Testa. They were built to carry plaques honouring those who served their country regardless of whether it was at home or overseas. The plaques bear the name, number and branch of service to which the member was attached.
On either side of the War Memorial outside of a chain fence that surrounds the Memorial are seats supplied by Queensland Railways.
The Banyo War Memorial was dedicated by Major Robinson of the Salvation Army on ANZAC Day, 25 April 1999, and is maintained by the Banyo RSL Sub-Branch.
Three plaques representing the Navy, Army and Air Force were attached to the light-coloured brick Memorial Wall positioned behind the artillery piece. Underneath the three plaques are attached the words "LEST WE FORGET."
The gun, a Howitzer 25 pounder, carries a plaque. Under an "Australia Remembers Badge" are written the words, "THE CITIZENS OF BANYO AND DISTRICT WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THE SACRIFICE MADE BY OUR MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED OUR NATION IN TIME OF WAR IN THE YEAR 'AUSTRALIA REMEMBERS' 1995. Below this is an RSL Badge under which is written the word 'BANYO' and below that ' Lest we forget.'
The memorial tress plaque reads "MEMORIAL TREES WW1 WW2 POST WW2 PLANTED BY LOCAL SCHOOL CAPTAINS 1999 BANYO HIGH HOLLY HERRLING & SCOTT DONALDSON ST PIUS KATHRYN SAWYER NUDGEE STATE ASHLEY KISS & FIONA ROBERTS
PRESIDENT RON VIRGEN SECRETARY BOB ROGERS TREASURER FRANK BANKS."
Along the top panel of the left hand wall is a plaque reading "AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING". While along the top of the right hand wall is a plaque with the Words "WE WILL REMEMBER THEM." On the top outer corner of each wall is a round globe with a light that is on a timer and lights up each evening.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Gulf War, 1990–1991
- Somalia, 1992–1994
- Peacekeeping, 1947–present
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day Service is held at the main Banyo War Memorial Forming up time - 6.45am in the Banyo Clinic Car Park. Service commences at 7.00am at the Memorial and is usually completed by 8.00am. After the Service, there is a sausage sizzle and light refreshments. Rev Bob Rogers conducts the Service.
- Additional information
After the 1914–1918 war, a School of Arts Building Committee was formed to build a dance hall where returning soldiers could be entertained and socialise. Mr Coomber, Chairman of the Committee, at the time, was able to hold a Meeting in the new Banyo School of Arts on 8 July 1928.
This community hall later became known as the Banyo Memorial Hall. From April 1964 to July 1983 the Banyo RSL Sub-Branch was trustee of the Banyo Memorial Hall and its surrounds. The hall remained its meeting place until 1998 when it was demolished because of its poor condition.
When the land was sold, the portion at the eastern end of the block where the Flagpole Memorial stood was donated to the Banyo RSL Sub-Branch. Mr Ernie Jones, a member of the Banyo RSL Sub-Branch, proposed the erection of a Fallen Comrades Memorial Wall paved walkways and gardens. The Flagpole Memorial would remain undisturbed. Mr Mark Thompson, a local builder, erected the Memorial Wall and did the paving. An artillery piece which had been behind the Memorial Hall was lifted by an Energex crane to its present position and the gardens designed.
In 2009, just in time for ANZAC Day, the Banyo War Memorial had four flag poles added at the rear of the Memorial.On commemorative days such as ANZAC Day, Remembrance Day, Vietnam Veterans Day etc, flags representing the four services - Navy, Army Air Force and Merchant Navy and those on the main flag pole are flown at half mast or as directed by the RSL.
Banyo has a long military history.
During WW2 the US Corps of Engineers built the Brisbane General Depot at Banyo. A large US Army Camp and the 338th Ordnance Company was established either side of Earnshaw Road, Banyo. After the war on 17 October 1945 the Australian Army was allocated a large portion of this land. On 16 February 1950, the Army acquired the 72 acre site and it was renamed the Banyo Ordnance Depot. This Banyo Army Stores Depot remained a support base, occupied by the South Queensland Logistic Support Group until 2003.
- Recorded by
- Dell Shears, Treasurer, Banyo RSL Sub-Branch/Doug Tanner/Dennis Stocks
- Date recorded
- 15 April 2009