Brisbane RAAF Memorial
The Royal Australian Air Force Memorial is an octagonal obelisk, set upon a 16 sided plinth. The apex of the obelisk displays an eagle, the symbol of the Air Forces. The whole memorial is set within a commemorative corner of the park and is prominent to one of the major CBDcrossroads.
The memorial plinth is brown speckled marble, with black marble edging. The Motto of the RAAF is displayed around the edge of the base. The obelisk is cast bronze and the bronze eagle atop, is posed as such to appear to be ready for flight and with wings covering all.
Therearetwo dedication plaques and RAAF Crest dispalyed on the base.
'PER ARDUA AD ASTRA'
THIS MEMORIAL HONOURS ALL MEN AND WOMEN
WHO SERVED IN THE
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO IN SO DOING
GAVE THEIR LIVES OR SUFFERED LASTING HURT
THE BRISBANE RAAF MEMORIAL COMMITTEE
CHAIRMAN LIONEL N. RACKLEY D.F.C., O.A.M., A.E.
RAISED AND GAVE THIS MEMORIAL
QUEENSLAND STATE GOVERNMENT
AS CUSTODIAN FOR
THE PEOPLE OF QUEENSLAND
UNVEILED THIS SECOND DAY OF MAY 1996
IN THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY YEAR OF THE RAAF
BY THE CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF
AIR MARSHAL L.B. FISHER A.O., RAAF
SCULPTOR - RHYL HINWOOD
PROJECT MANAGER - ROB HINWOOD
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Recorded by
- Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 20 July 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque