Bulimba Memorial Park Avenue of Honour
Weeping figs, small-leafed figs and cocos palms and other species planted on the edge of parkland. The trees in this avenue were planted as a living tribute to the servicemen and women from Balmoral Shire who sacrificed their lives during the First World War (1914–1918).
The park was officially opened on 1 November 1919 by WH Barnes MLA as the Bulimba Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Park. The avenue was rededicated by Cr Ian McKenzie, Councillor for Holland Park Ward, on 13 November 2008
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Additional information
In November 1919, the Brisbane Courier reported that the opening of the park was 'the consummation of tghe desire of a small committee of residents to establish a suitable memorial to the heroes who left the district to help in the Great War' and 'the committee hoped that what was once and eyesore would become a joy to the community.
Each tree is believed to have had a commemorative plaque honouring a serviceman killed in action, but one remain today. There are five such plaques preserved in the Colmslie RSL Sub Branch club.
- Recorded by
- Lesley McBurney
- Date recorded
- 13 August 2009