2nd Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
Ornate marble and bronze Honour Board, displaying the elements of dedication to the regiment, including a small carved Light Horseman and 'Waler', with the total commemoration of those killed and wounded during the First World War.
Refer to image.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Honour board
- Commemorative services held
The Shrine of Memories is utilised on ANZAC Day.
- Additional information
The 2nd Light Horse Regiment was raised at Enoggera in Queensland on 18 August 1914. Its recruits came mainly from Queensland but some hailed from the Northern Rivers district of New South Wales. The 2nd was one of three regiments of the 1st Light Horse Brigade - the first Australian mounted formation raised by Australia during the First World War. The regiment sailed from Brisbane on 25 September and disembarked in Egypt on 9 December.
The 2nd Light Horse Regiment deployed to Gallipoli without its horses and landed there on 12 May 1915, joining the New Zealand and Australian Division. It played a defensive role for most of the campaign but did attack the Turkish trenches opposite Quinn's Post, one of the most contested positions along the ANZAC Line. The 2nd was withdrawn from the front line in September and left the peninsula on 18 December. Back in Egypt, the 2nd Light Horse joined the ANZAC Mounted Division.
The Regiment played a part in many of the major Battles in the Middle East:
Jordan (Es Salt)
Turkey surrendered on 30 October 1918. The 2nd Light Horse Regiment sailed for Australia on 13 March 1919 without their horses, which were either shot or transferred to Indian cavalry units.
(Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au)
- Recorded by
- Qld War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 8 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque