3 Squadron A.F.C. and R.A.A.F. Roll of Honour
Brass plaque located within the ANZAC Square Crypt, commemorating the service of individuals in the 3rd Squadron of the Australian Flying Corps during WWI, and the 3rd Squadron. Royal Australian Air Force, during WWII. The plaque lists Battle Honours of the Squadron within the respective wars and Rolls of Honour for those who made the supreme sacrifice. There are 32 individuals from WWI and 84 from WWII.
'WE WILL REMEMBER THEM'
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Honour board
- Commemorative services held
- The Shrine of Memories is utilised for commorative events.
- Additional information
3 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps (AFC), was formed at Point Cook, in Victoria on 19 September 1916. It was the first Australian flying unit to arrive on the Western Front. Transported to Europe on HMAT Ulysses, it landed in England on 28 December 1916. The squadron finally arrived at their appointed aerodrome in France (Savy) on 10 September 1917, and was subsequently employed in support of the ground forces, operating over the Canadian and XIII Corps' front near Arras.
In November 1917, the squadron moved to Flanders to operate in support of the Australian Corps. In early 1918, operations extended to dropping propaganda leaflets and, in February, photographic reconnaissance work. During the German spring offensive, the squadron moved to the Somme valley and was involved in vital artillery spotting operations. On 21 April 1918, 3 Squadron aircraft became involved in the action leading to the death of the German air ace Manfred von Richthofen.
In late June 1918 the squadron was involved in experiments in aerial supply methods for ground troops and in July contributed to noise diversion operations in connection with the battle of Hamel. The squadron also assisted Allied movements in the battle of Amiens by dropping smoke bombs and continued its reconnaissance duties during the Allied advance to the Hindenburg Line. The squadron's last offensive operations took place on 10 November 1918, the day before the signing of the Armistice.
France and Flanders 1916-1918, Somme 1918, Amiens, Hindenburg Line
The 3rd Squadron RAAF, Originally formed on 1 July 1925, and was one of twelve permanent Royal Australian Air Force Squadrons in existence at the beginning of the Second World War. During the next four and a half years, 3 Squadron became one of the most active squadrons in the RAAF, quickly becoming a jack-of-all-trades. In addition to the conventional reconnaissance and ground attack roles of an army co-operation squadron, it defended ground forces and bombers from enemy aircraft, and conducted strikes against enemy shipping.
3 Squadron's original aircraft had been replaced by Hawker Hurricanes by January 1941, but for most of the war its principal workhorse was the Curtis P-40, with which it was first equipped in May 1941. Two successive variants of the P-40, known as Tomahawks and Kittyhawks, were employed by the squadron before they were finally replaced by North American P-51 Mustangs in November 1944. In Italy, the squadron adorned its aircraft with a southern cross painted on the rudder, a practice which has been continued by more modern incarnations of 3 Squadron to the current day.
Italian Campaign, Sicily, Tunisian Campaign
(Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au)
- Recorded by
- Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 14 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque