Cooyar War Memorial
The monument comprises an ornate pedestal of Queensland marble on a sandstone base and surmounted by a life-sized statue of an Australian infantry soldier in Italian marble. The soldier stands with head bowed and arms reversed. The pedestal has a block recessed behind Corinthian columns and bearing the leaded inscription and the names of the 35 local brave boys who fell in the Great War. The pedestal is capped by a gabled cornice, the front gable ornamented with a wreath carved in relief. Leaded ivy, a symbol of death, ornaments the base of the pedestal.
There is a separate sandstone plinth on the south side of the monument. It has a marble plate bearing the leaded names of the 110 other locals who served in the war and return.
Both monument and plinth are enclosed by separate circular fences of cast iron (fleur-de-lis design), then a substantial timber fence surrounds the whole memorial. This oval-shaped fence has a gate at the front and a flagstaff at the south west, originally there were two German machine guns (or war trophies) near the enclosure, but they are no longer there.
ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF COOYAR AND DISTRICT IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE BOYS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 1 April 2009