Dayboro War Memorial
The memorial consists of three main elements plus a flagpole, located on the southwest side of the swimming pool, within Roderick A Cruice Park. The main sandstone memorial (1920, relocated 2011) consists of a column with dome on top and an unusual rifle and ammunition belt carving, with pillars and crossed flags, set on a grey granite stepped base. The front marble plaque carries the names of the 15 men from the Dayboro District who died during the First World War, while marble plaques to either side list the 34 men who returned. To the northwest stands and arc of three granite columns, each with five sections; each section bears the name, details, and in most cases the image, of one of the 15 men who died. In front of the three columns is a granite plinth, resembling an open book, displaying four relief maps of the battlefields where the Dayboro men died.
Front inscription on 1920 memorial reads:
Died on Service
Erected by the residents of Dayboro and District.
and lists 15 names
Honour Rolls on two of the other sides of the memorial list 34 soldiers who returned
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Additional information
Main memorial: Mason: Henry Payne, Brisbane. Dedicated 13 November 1920
Originally sited in a grassed area on the north side of the southern entrance to the Dayboro State School on McKenzie Street, the memorial was moved to Roderick A Cruice Park on Williams Street and was rededicated on 11 November 2011. The three granite columns were dedicated at the ANZAC Centenary service on 25 April 2015.
A granite plinth, with four maps, was dedicated on 11 November 2018.
A metal plaque which listed the names of six men killed during the Second World War, 1939–1945, and which in 2009 was present on the fourth marble face of the main memorial, has been removed.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor. Additional information provided by Alan Bourne and Carmel Bond, 2019.
- Date recorded
- 24 February 2009