42nd Battalion (Capricornia Regiment) Battalion Plaque
A brown speckled marble panel, displaying a bronzed wreath and plaque in dedication of the 'Glorious Dead' of the 42nd Infantry Battalion during the Second World War. The unit colour patch is enameled and displays the Battalion motto of 'CEDE NULLIS'.
Refer to additional image.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- The Crypt is utilised for commemorative events.
- Additional information
After the First World War the defence of the Australian mainland lay with the part-time soldiers of the Citizens Military Force, also known as the Militia. The Militia was organised to maintain the structure of the First AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The Militia units were distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised. Consequently, Militia units were also known by the name of their shire. Thus, Queensland's 42nd Infantry Battalion was the "Capricornia Regiment", with training centres in Rockhampton, Mt Morgan, and, for a while, Gladstone and Mackay. The unit also drew men from Sarina, Carmilla, and Yeppoon.
From the start of the Second World War until 1941 the 42nd held frequent training camps at Yeppoon. In March 1942 the battalion moved to Tiaro, near Maryborough, where it joined the rest of the 5th Division's 29th Brigade. In early 1942 the brigade moved to Townsville, where it prepared defensive positions from Giru to Rollingstone. The brigade later conducted jungle training at Mt Spec, near Townsville.
In January 1943 the brigade was sent to Milne Bay. In mid-July the 42nd was sent to Buna and Boisi, before moving to Morobe at the end of the month. In August the battalion began moving to Nassau Bay, then Tambu Bay to take part in the Salamaua Campaign. On 9 September the 42nd captured Charlie Hill, allowing the Australians to capture Salamaua three days later.
In early 1944 the brigade linked up with the 7th Division in order to clear the Japanese from Lae. After spending several months patrolling the area, the 15th was transferred to Young's Crossing near Petrie in June. It is worth noting that until August 1944 the brigade had the record for the longest service in New Guinea, having been there for 18 months.
At Young's Crossing the 42nd was given some well-earned leave before the 29th Brigade was sent to Bougainville to become part of the 3rd Division, and conducted itself with bravery and dedication. The 42nd was disbanded on 7 May 1946.
Mount Tambu, South-West Pacific 1943-45, Tambu Bay, Komiatum, Liberation of Australian New Guinea, Mawaraka, Mivo Ford.
(Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au)
- Recorded by
- Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 14 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque