East Brisbane War Memorial (Digger)

Location of East Brisbane War Memorial (Digger)

Mowbray Park, Latrobe Street and Lytton Road (Brisbane)
East Brisbane QLD 4169

The memorial comprises a life statue of an Australian Light Horseman, standing at ease on a pedestal base. Both statue and pedestal are of Helidon sandstone. Originally the pedestal bore four large leaded marble plates with 520 names of early enlistments from the area. Additional plates with a further c.200 names were added during and after the war, including four scroll-shaped plates resting on the steeped base of Melbourne granite. At the time of unveiling the monument was surrounded by a 'garden in the shape of a Red Cross' and by two guns which had formed part of the colonial defence around Lytton. The garden did not survive the memorial's relocation within the park, but another symbolic surround was added in 1929, in the form of stone kerbing - the stone taken from the old Normal School then being demolished to make way for Brisbane's Anzac Square.

Inscription

Refer to additional images.

Conflicts commemorated
First World War, 1914–1918
Memorial type
Statue
Additional information

The first WWI monument erected in the Brisbane region; the only WWI monument by the local masonry firm of Batstone's; an historical record of local participation and sacrifice in the war; and for the rare colonial guns which flank the monument. 1916-17

The memorial was erected at a cost of about 187 pounds by a memorial committee of local citizens and made by the masonry firm of W Batstone and Sons of nearby Woolloongabba. The statue was actually carved by Alfred Batstone, grandfather of the present proprietors. The foundation stone was laid on 4 November 1916 by the then Governor of Qld, Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams, and the memorial was unveiled by Lady Goold-Adams on 11 August 1917.

Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
14 April 2009

Nearby memorials