Ebbw Vale War Memorial (Digger)
A life-sized digger facing ahead with rifle in right hand stands atop a typical Petrie base. This memorial was relocated in 1972 and the digger later vandalised and damaged beyond repair and a new digger carved. When repositioned the dedication plaque was placed on the back of the memorial.
Dedication plaque reads:
Erected by residents of Ebbw Vale to show their appreciation to our gallant soldiers on their return and to honour those who fell. This memorial was unveiled by His Excellency Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams, GCMC, CB, 11 May 1918.
Plaques list 22 names, of which 3 have K beside them indicating 3 killed.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Additional information
The memorial was originally located on the opposite side of Brisbane road close to the railway station entrance. It was manufactured by Mr A.L. Petrie, MLA at Toowong.
The memorial was unveiled on 11 May 1918 by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 20 March 2009