450 Squadron RAAF Roll of Honour
Brass plaque in the Crpyt, commemorating the memory of Airmen from the 450 Squadron who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II 1939–1945. The plaque lists areas of service, in particular North Africa and the Mediterranean. There is also a Roll fo Honour, listing 54 individuals.
450 SQUADRON R.A.A.F.
IN EVERLASTING MEMORY OF THOSE
GALLANT AIRMEN WHO PIAD THE
IN WORLD WAR II 1939–1945
ROLL OF HONOUR
THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Honour board
- Commemorative services held
- The Shrine is utilised for commemorative events.
- Additional information
450 Squadron, nicknamed the "Desert Harassers", was one of the most famous Royal Australian Air Force squadrons of the Second World War. Its nickname was derived from the taunts of the German propaganda broadcaster "Lord Haw Haw" who, during the squadron's operations in the Western Desert branded it a band of "Australian mercenaries whose harassing tactics were easily beaten off by the Luftwaffe".
The 450 Squadron came into existence at Williamtown in New South Wales on 16 February 1941. It was the first of the "Article XV" squadrons to be formed and initially it consisted only of ground crew. After arriving in the Middle East in May 1941 it was combined with the pilots and Hawker Hurricanes of 260 Squadron, Royal Air Force, to form an operational squadron. This combined squadron flew predominantly ground-attack missions during the Syrian campaign of June-July 1941. In August 1941, 260 Squadron's ground crew arrived from Britain, and 450 Squadron regained its original identity. Awaiting the arrival of its own pilots and aircraft, it moved to Egypt in October and began operating as an advanced Repair and Service Unit. On 18 December, the squadron's first aircraft - Curtis P-40 Kittyhawks - began arriving allowing the squadron to reform as a fighter squadron.
450 Squadron commenced operations on 20 February 1942 and remained active for the rest of the war, taking part in the campaigns in the Western Desert, which spanned Egypt and Libya (February 1942 - February 1943), Tunisia (February - May 1943), Sicily (July - August 1943) and Italy (August 1943 - May 1945). Although designated a fighter squadron, its principal role was ground-attack in close support of the land forces. 450 Squadron's war ended, just as it was preparing to re-equip with North-American P-51 Mustangs, with the surrender of German forces in Italy on 2 May 1945. It disbanded at Lavarino in Italy on 20 August 1945.
South-East Europe 1942-1945, Egypt and Libya 1940-1943, El Alamein, El Hamma, North Africa 1942-1943, Sicily 1943, Italy 1943-1945, Gustav Line, Gothic Line, Syria 1941
(Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au)
- Recorded by
- Matt Smith, QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 14 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque