Elliott Heads Submarine Lookout ANZAC Day Memorial
Positioned close to the water front, the memorial is a combination arrangement with all elements recognising the services of individuals from the 10th Battalion, Volunteer Defence Corps, who manned the site as an observation position during the Second World War. The space surrounding the memorials is known as the Elliott Heads Memorial Park.
The ANZAC Day Memorial consists of two concrete plinths, connected by a timber beam. Atop the left plinth there is an arched slab, which contributes to the signage. There are two small plaques attached to the plinths.
Submarine Lookout Cairns - there are two cairns located closer to the ocean and situated on the actual original 'lookout' site'. Each cairn supports a plaque and to the right of the cairns there are remains of the wooden posts which supported the structure.
The ANZAC Day Memorial: (Plaque, Northern pillar): In memory of full time members of 10 Bn Volunteer Defence Corps World War 2, who manned this coast Observation Post to report any enemy movements by sea, land or air. Lt-Col W.G. McLucas M.I.D. Commanding Officer Sgt W. Entwistle Pte's C. Allan W.J. Anderson W.N. Chase A.M. Cunningham E.Hawkins A. Jamieson E.J. Linwood J. McNeilly A. Rogers J. Tracey L. Williams S.H. Yates
(Plaque, Southern pillar): SUBMARINE LOOKOUT ANZAC MEMORIAL PROJECT 2006. Initiated by the Elliott Heads & District Ratepayers & Residents Association (Inc). Funded through Grants from Federal Government, Queensland State Government and Burnett Shire Council. Supported by the RSL Bundaberg Branch.
Submarine Lookout Cairns
LEST WE FORGET
IN MEMORY OF ALL SERVICE
MEN AND WOMEN WHO PAID
THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
BOER WAR, WORLD WAR I.
WORLD WAR II, KOREAN WAR,
AND THE VIETMNAM WAR
BURNETT SHIRE COUNCIL
CITIZENS OF ELLIOTT HEADS
TO THE MEMORY OF
THOSE MEMBERS OF THE
VOLUNTEER DEFENCE CORPS
WHO MANNED THE ELLIOTT HEADS
LOOKOUT DURING WORLD WAR II
ERECTED BY THE WOONGARRA
- Conflicts commemorated
- South Africa War, 1899–1902
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day - the memorial is the central location for the services held at 11am on 25 April. The memorial and services are administered by the Elliott Heads Ratepayers & Residents Association.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/Leone Wilson, Secretary, Wide Bay and Burnett District RSL/Greg Savage, Director Health & Environmental Services, Bundab
- Date recorded
- 25 February 2009
- Bargara Beaufort Bomber Memorial
- Bargara National Service Memorial
- Bargara State School Roll of Honour
- Barolin State School Honour Boards
- Bingera and South Kolan WWI Honour Boards
- Bingera and South Kolan WWII Honour Board
- Bucca All Wars Memorial
- Bundaberg 47th Australian Infantry Battalion Memorial
- Bundaberg 47th Infantry Battalion Memorial Clock
- Bundaberg AFC and RAAF Memorial