Finch Hatton War Memorial (Digger)
The First World War Memorial is situated in Finch Hatton facing the Mackay Eungella Road.
The memorial rises to a height of 17 feet and comprises a pedestal surmounted by a digger statue.
The sandstone memorial sits on a base step with picked stone faces, margined and chiselled. Surmounting this are two larger steps with chamfered corners. The lower of these two steps has a diaper pattern, margined and chiselled on all faces. The upper step is smooth faced and is capped with cyma recta mouldings.
The pedestal rises from this base and is in two parts. The lower part consists of a recessed square section with small barley twist columns at each corner. The square section continues above a shallow cornice and is capped by a series of curvilinear inverted steps. Surmounting this is a second section, smooth-faced with recessed panels on each face and stop-chamfers to each corner. This is capped by a further series of inverted steps which are arched over recessed panels.
Standing on a small block above this is the digger statue. The soldier statue stands with his head bowed and hands crossed over a rifle which is in the reversed position. A tree stump is located behind the statue for support.
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- To be confirmed
- Additional information
The Finch Hatton War Memorial was erected on 19 November 1921, and it is possible that it may never have been officially unveiled. It was erected at a cost of 200 which was paid for by public subscription. The stone memorial was designed and produced by Melrose and Fenwick of Mackay and honours the 16 local men who fell in the First World War. Later additions honour the 7 who fell in the Second World War.
The erection of the memorial was made possible through the combined efforts of two towns; Finch Hatton and Netherdale.
An excellent and intact example of a soldier-type war memorial by Melrose and Fenwick, then the leading firm of monumental masons in North Queensland.
Finch Hatton's main street where the monument is located is itself a war memorial: Anzac Avenue. It is planted on both sides with fig trees in memory of fallen soldiers.
Melrose and Fenwick the makers of the Finch Hatton memorial, were a monumental masonry firm established in Townsville in c1896. They were a large firm with branches throughout Northern Queensland. They enjoyed continued success into the late 20th century, only going out of business in the early 1980s.
The pedestal of this monument is of an unusually ornate style. The impetus for the design is not known however it is probably a result of regional tastes and preferences.
(Source: Queensland Cultural Heritage Register)
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor and Glen Hall.
- Date recorded
- 5 March 2009