Gona, Buna and Sanananda Memorial
A bronze plaque on an exposed aggregate plinth, located in the garden bed adjacent to ANZAC Way.
In memory of the hundreds of Australians many from Townsville who died at Gona, Buna and Sanananda, the Battles of the Beachheads in December 1942 and January 1943.
The magnificent but costly feat of arms eliminated nearly 100% of the enemy and captured a vital base thus freeing Australia from the threat of invasion.
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Memorial type
- Additional information
- Erected by 2/12 BN Assoc Department of Veterans Affairs and Townsville City Council
- Recorded by
- Townsville City Council
- Date recorded
- 6 April 2009
- 11th Aust Infantry Bde (AIF) Porton Memorial
- 2/2 Battalion Association Memorial
- 31/51 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour
- 31st Infantry Battalion Memorial
- 3rd Cavalry Regiment Memorial
- 4th Field Regiment RAA Memorial
- ANZAC Way War Memorial
- Australian Air Crews Memorial
- Battle of the Coral Sea Memorial
- City Administration Honour Board