47th Battalion (Wide Bay Regiment) Plaque
A circular bronzed wreath, set onto a white marble slab. A brass circular plaque is displayed in the centre of the wreath and is dedicated to the 'Glorious Fallen' of the Battalion during World War II. There is an enameled colour patch inserted.
AUST INF BN
1939 - 1945
IN HONOUR OF OUR GLORIOUS FALLEN
DEFENDARE NON PROVOCARE
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- The Crypt is utilised for commemorative events.
- Additional information
After the First World War the defence of the Australian mainland lay with the part-time soldiers of the Citizens Military Force, also known as the Militia. The Militia was organised to maintain the structure of the First AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The Militia units were distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised. Consequently, Militia units were also known by the name of their shire. Thus, Queensland's 47th Infantry Battalion was the "Wide Bay Regiment", with training centres in Tiaro, Gympie, Murgon, Wondai, Kingaroy, Childers, Howard, and Bundaberg.
After the outbreak of the Second World War the 47th regularly held training camps lasting from one to three months, before being mobilised on 17 March 1941. Towards the end of the year the 47th moved from Rockhampton to Tiaro, where it joined the 15th and 42nd Battalions of the 5th Division's 29th Brigade. In early 1942 the brigade moved to Townsville to prepare defensive positions from Giru to Rollingstone. The brigade later conducted jungle training at Mount Spec, near Townsville. In January 1943 the brigade was sent to Milne Bay, while the 47th was sent to Goodenough Island the next month. In September the 47th was transferred to Nassau Bay and then Tambu Bay, where it took part in the Salamaua Campaign.
In early 1944 the brigade linked up with the 7th Division, in order to clear the Japanese from Lae. After spending several months patrolling around Lae, the 47th was transferred to Strathpine in Queensland. Until August 1944 the brigade held the record for the longest time spent in New Guinea - 18 months. At Strathpine the 47th was given well-earned leave, before the 29th Brigade was sent to Bougainville to become part of the 3rd Division. They remained there until the end of hostilities and returned to Australia on 23 December. The unit was disbanded on 9 January 1946.
Liberation of Australian New Guinea, Tambu Bay, Mawaraka, Mivo Ford, South-West Pacific 1943-45
(Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au)
- Recorded by
- QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 14 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque