Greenmount War Memorial (Digger)
A life-sized digger at ease with right leg forward, on top of a square base with crossed rifles and laurel wreaths carved on the sides. The memorial is surrounded by a low sandstone and rail fence, the front section lower than the sides for easy access on Anzac Day. The whole sits on a raised concrete base, and is set on paving, surrounded by colourful gardens. A flagpole is to the right of the memorial, which was relocated from Pilton Street to the Bicentennial Memorial Park, a popular community facility next to the Memorial Hall.
The memorial commemorates 236 Fallen & Returned from the District from WWI, WWII and Vietnam Wars.
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Memorial type
- Additional information
This memorial has outstanding significance: as an example of the work of W P Prout, Warwick, 1921; as an historical record of local participation and sacrifice in war as Sister Elizabeth Kenny and her brother are listed on the memorial.
Also, four Hogarth brothers, 3 of whom did not return, and are also listed on the Cambooya, Pittsworth and Toowoomba memorials. They are also honoured in St Andrews Anglican Church, Pittsworth, with memorial windows. The digger at Greenmount is similar to the one formerly at Killarney, but it was destroyed in a cyclone in 1968.
The 'Digger' was relocated from Pilton Street to the Bicentennial Memorial Park, on Ramsay Street.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/Dennis Stocks and Doug Tanner
- Date recorded
- 1 April 2009