Indooroopilly War Memorial

Location of Indooroopilly War Memorial

Keating Park, Belgrave Road
Indooroopilly QLD 4068

Set on two large grey granite blocks, the white marble centre portion lists the names of 25 fallen soldiers from the Indooroopilly District. Badges of the Royal Australian Navy, Australian Imperial Forces and Royal Australian Air Force are also featured around the sides. Originally lit by a gas lantern the memorial features a replacement cast iron electric lantern on top. In 1970 the memorial was damaged by a mobile crane and relocated to its present position in Keating Park. The front Honour Board was replaced in 1987 because of rust stains. The memorial is set on brick paving and surrounded by a low piping fence. The whole site has been landscaped in the form of a rising sun. Four other names are listed on the opposite side to the Roll of Honour and additional paques commemorating other conflicts since WWI have been attached. There is also an AUstralia Remembers plaque. The memorial was unveiled by Sir Matthew Nathan, KCMG, on 26 February 1921.

Inscription

INDOOROOPILLY FALLEN SAILORS AND SOLDIERS MONUMENT/1914-1919
[Names]
Remembrance Dedication

Conflicts commemorated
  • First World War, 1914–1918
  • Second World War, 1939–1945
  • Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
  • Korean War, 1950–1953
  • Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
  • Vietnam War, 1962–1972
Memorial type
Column/obelisk/pillar
Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day
Recorded by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor
Date recorded
14 April 2009

Nearby memorials