Inglewood War Memorial
Crossed rifles feature on the sandstone obelisk set on a typical Petrie stepped base. Surrounded by a sandstone and chain link fence. The Memorial faces the Memorial Gates at the entrance of the Memorial Park.
WWI Roll of Honour lists 22 individuals who paid the supreme sacrifice, losing their lives during conflict.
WWII Roll of Honour listes 10 individuals who paid the supreme sacrifice, losing their lives during conflict.
The other three sides of the memorial honours and lists the names af those who enlisted and served in World War II and returned back to Australia after the war.
The following plaques are on the front of the memorial under the crossed rifles.
MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO PAID THE
[11 NAMES] [11 NAMES]
"Their name liveth
IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO PAID THE SUPREME SACRIFICE.
[5 NAMES] [5 NAMES]
"Their name liveth for evermore".
WWI Enlistees plaques (back of memorial):
APPRECIATION OF THOSE
IN THE GREAT WAR.
[10 NAMES] [10 NAMES]
Left side plaque:
[19 NAMES] [19 NAMES]
Right side plaque:
[20 NAMES] [20 NAMES]
(Refer to additional images for list of names)
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
Anzac Day Service held at the War Memorial.
- Additional information
The Inglewood Memorial Park was established in 1960 with the Memorial Gates at the entrance of Memorial Park dedicated on ANZAC Day 1960. The gates are constructed of concrete posts and overhead arch with swinging iron gates. A dedication plaque is fixed to the right post with the following script:
INGLEWOOD MEMORIAL PARK
DEDICATED ON BEHALF OF THE CITIZENS OF
THE SHIRE OF INGLEWOOD.
AS A MEMORIAL TO THE FALLEN IN
WORLD WAR (1) 1914/18. WORLD WAR (2) 1939/45.
AND THE KOREAN WAR 1950/1953.
25 TH. APRIL 1960
In 2012 the Inglewood War Memorial was cleaned and restored due to a partnership between Goondiwindi Regional Council Lyon's Club and the Queensland Government, as part of the Community Memorials Restoration Program receiving a grant assisting to finance the restoration of the memorial.
The original white marble tablets on the eastern face were replaced with replicas in black granite. The tablets and plaques on the other faces were restored and cleaned.
The restored Yeppoon War Memorial was unveiled in September 2010.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor; Goondiwindi Regional Council; J.H. Wagner & Sons, Toowoomba
- Date recorded
- 5 March 2009