Kalinga Honour Gates
Four large piers marked 1914, Honour Gates, 1919, and carrying plaques. Each pier is capped with a globe. The gates lead into a large, popular recreation and sporting reserve, and form the entrance to 'Diggers' Drive Memorial Avenue'.
Left gate: Erected by the residents of Kalinga and officially opened 23-10-1920.
Right gate: Erected in commemoration of those who served in The Great War 1914 1919
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
- ANZAC Day - 7.30am Clayfield-Toombul RSL Sub-Branch
- Additional information
Stone work completed by A L Petrie & Son, Masons, Brisbane, 23 October 1920
A road laid by unemployed returned WWI diggers to honour their fallen mates was uncovered by historical research. The Diggers' Drive, a 1.2km gravel road through Kalinga Park, on Brisbane's north side, was built by 83 ex-soldiers and opened by Queensland Governor Sir Matthew Nathan in May 1924. Men formed and gravelled the road and planted 120 trees in Hendra and Kalinga parks. It had been proposed to place on the trees the names of deceased soldiers of Toombul Shire but the idea lapsed.
(Source: Sunday Mail 18 July 1999.)
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/Lesley McBurney/R.H.(Bill) Best, Clayfield-Toombul RSL Sub-Branch
- Date recorded
- 31 July 2009