Koumala War Memorial
The memorial is constructed of white painted concrete and comprises a double stepped base from which rises an obelisk on a square plinth. The front face of the plinth features a plaque with a commemorative statement from the citizens of the Koumala district. The obelisk is surmounted by a small Latin cross.
THE CITIZENS OF
KOUMALA & DISTRICT
IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
IN DEFENCE OF THEIR COUNTRY
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day ceremonies.
- Additional information
The Koumala War Memorial was dedicated on 18 April 1958. A large contingent of troops training on Koumala Range took part in an unveiling ceremony.
Funds for the memorial were raised by public subscription, arranged by the Koumala sub-branch of the RSL. The memorial was erected in honour of those who served in all wars and particularly honours the six local men who made the supreme sacrifice in honour of their country during the Second World War.
Six small trees have recently been planted by the school children with each tree representing one of the six men. Temporary plaques displaying the names were placed beside each tree and it is intended that these will be replaced with more permanent plaques at some stage.
The Koumala War Memorial is situated in a reserve next to the Koumala State School facing Bull Street. The reserve is surrounded by a low chain wire fence with white painted metal frames. The setting in which the memorial is located is barren apart from new plantings of Ned Kelly Grevilleas, and a flagpole which stands directly behind the memorial. (Source: Queensland Cultural Heritage Register)
- Recorded by
- Glen Hall, Dennis stocks and Doug Tanner, Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 5 March 2009