Mackay 2/12th Battalion Memorial
Two stepped black polished granite memorial with two plinths displaying a bronze plaque on each. One of the plaques is dedicated to the 205 men from the Mackay District who served and died in the 2/12th Battalion at Milne Bay and further battles during WW2.
The other is dedicated to the 287,000 men who served in the National Services between 1951 and 1972. Of the total, 187 were killed and 1,479 wounded overseas. The National Service Association badge also displayed.
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF 205 MEMBERS OF THE
2/12 BATTALION, MANY FROM MACKAY WHO DIED IN
GAINING AN AUSTRALIAM VICTORY AT MILNE BAY, WHERE
THEY SPEARHEADED THE COUNTER ATTACK AGAINST THE
JAPANESE MARINES. THIS WAS THE ENEMY'S FIRST DEFEAT.
FOLLOWED BY FURTHER VICTORIES AGAINST THE JAPANESE
AT GOODENOUGH ISLAND, BUNA AND SANANANDA IN 1942-3.
THIS MAGNIFICENT FEAT OF ARMS HELPED SAVE AUSTRALIA
FROM INVASION. TRULY A GREAT BATTALION.
ERECTED BY 2/12 BN ASSOC., VETERAN'S AFFAIRS AND
MACKAY CITY COUNCIL
- Conflicts commemorated
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day Dawn Services held in Jubilee Park, followed by another service later in the morning.
- Additional information
In 2011 this Memorial was upgraded and enhanced due to a partnership between Mackay Regional Council and the Queensland Government, with a Community Memorials Restoration grant assisting to finance the new memorial. Prior to the enhancement, each of the plaques were displayed on seperate low concrete plinths. The original bronze plaques have been repositioned on new memorial.
- Recorded by
- Glen Hall/Dennis Stocks and Doug Tanner
- Date recorded
- 5 March 2009
- Bakers Creek Air Crash Memorial
- Bakers Creek/Dundula District Honour Board
- Coningsby State School 1914-1919 Roll of Honor
- Dundula State School Honour Board
- Glenella State School 1939–1945 Honour Board
- Glenella State School Honour Board 1914–1918
- Homebush and District Honour Board 1914-1919
- Mackay Mafeking Boer War Memorial
- Mackay National Servicemens Memorial
- Mackay Old Town Hall Honour Board