Mackay WWI Cenotaph 1914-1919
A white, globe topped column set on a square base, with white marble plaques around sides. Three steps lead from Jubilee Park to the front of the memorial, which backs on to Alfred Street. An unusual bronze soldier and the description of memorial significance. Inset crosses figure on the end piers. There is a flagpole beside the memorial, and palm trees line the paths through Jubilee Park.
This memorial is dedicated to the men of Mackay and District who gave their lives in the Great War. Plaques on the other three sides are of white marble with a similar curved top with the following wording: Greater Love Hath No Man; For God, King and Country; and For Liberty and Right. These three plaques list 167 names. Included among decorations signified are 6 Military Medals, including 1 with CDC added; and 1 Distinguished Conduct Medal.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Day Dawn Services held in Jubilee Park, followed by another service later in the morning.
- Additional information
Melrose and Fenwick, masons, Townsville, 1929. Foundation stone laid by Mayor G A Milton in November 1928. Memorial has been relocated twice. The memorial was originally located on the banks of the Pioneer River opposite the Customs House however due to river floods and erosion of the river bank the memorial was relocated to the Gordon Street end of Jubilee Park in 1945.
The memorial was once again relocated to its present location in March 1973 to make way for the construction of the present Mackay City Council Civic Centre.
Architect A.S. Harris called for tenders for erection of the memorial in May 1928. The memorial was designed by a Townsville Architect Mr. S. Harvey who supervises the erection made by Melrose and Fenwick.
The committee which built the monument was formed several years after World War 1 and had about 20 members. Leaders of the committee were Miss Lizzie and Miss Mary Cameron, two very patriotic workers. The Secretary was Mr Fred Moore, a clerk in the railways. Other members of the committee included Dr M. Gallagher and Mr George Hoffman, a returned soldier. The unveiling ceremony took place on Wednesday 24 April 1929. speakers at the ceremony were His worship the Mayor, Colonel B. Toll, Captain G. Hoffman, Rev Collins, Dr Walsh, Rev Gibson, Rev Bainbridge and Mr T.S. Beatty.
(Source: Glen Hall, Mackay Historical Society, and Shirley and Trevor McIvor.)
- Recorded by
- Glen Hall, Mackay Historical Society, and Shirley and Trveor McIvor.
- Date recorded
- 5 March 2009
- Bakers Creek Air Crash Memorial
- Bakers Creek/Dundula District Honour Board
- Coningsby State School 1914-1919 Roll of Honor
- Dundula State School Honour Board
- Glenella State School 1939–1945 Honour Board
- Glenella State School Honour Board 1914–1918
- Homebush and District Honour Board 1914-1919
- Mackay 2/12th Battalion Memorial
- Mackay Mafeking Boer War Memorial
- Mackay National Servicemens Memorial