Macleay Island War Memorial
Pats Park, Beelong Street, at the northern end of Macleay Island, 40km south-east of Brisbane City, in southern Moreton Bay
Macleay Island QLD 4184
Sandstone memorial cairn set into a memorial reserve. Utilised as the islands Cenotaph for commemoration and remembrance services.
Inscriptions of the three services with relevant symbols. No conflicts recorded on the memorial.
- Conflicts commemorated
- South Africa War, 1899–1902
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Peacekeeping, 1947–present
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
Commemorative services are held at the memorial.
- Additional information
Quote from Macleay Island Sub-Branch RSL:
In the early morning darkness of ANZAC Day, the Morning Star is in line with the cenotaph and flagpole. The sun rises in lone with the Cenotaph and ripples across the bay to the island. The dark outline of Stradbroke Island is how we imagine Gallipoli would look in similar circumstances.
- Recorded by
- Macleay Island RSL Sub-Branch
- Date recorded
- 17 March 2009