ANZAC Square Boer War Memorial Digger
The ANZAC Square Boer War Memorial is not a 'Digger' Memorial in the true sense of the First World War style, but is one of the most signicant memorials in Queensland and has been included in this grouping. It displays a life size Boer War Trooper, mounted on a steed in full battle order. The equipment and weaponary are accurate for the era and the bronze figure is fine in its detail. The plinth of the memorial consists of sandstone and displays twin Rolls of Honour, located on the flanks, that list those Queenslanders who made the supreme sacrifice during the Boer War.
This memorial is part of a group of memorials situated at Anzac Square, Brisbane. A map is available.
(Refer to additional images)
IN MEMORY OF QUEENSLAND HEROES WHO FELL IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899–1902/ROLLS OF HONOUR
- Conflicts commemorated
- South Africa War, 1899–1902
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
ANZAC Square is the central location for State observance of all commemorative events, including ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day.
- Additional information
South African (Boer) War mounted soldier by James Laurence Watts, Brisbane, (1919), was relocated to Anzac Square 25 April 1939. P J Lowther & Sons of Petrie's Bight prepared the pedestal.
Anzac Square, a State memorial to those who participated in overseas armed service campaigns and the site for major commemorative occasions. It is significant as a rare example of formal urban design on such a scale and degree of unity like no other in Queensland.
Anzac Square is important for its contribution to the central city area as a large open space, combining green and built elements, as well as significant examples of the work of Queensland artists and sculptors Daphne Mayo, L Watts and W L Bowles.
(Source: Queensland Cultural Heritage Register)
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 2 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque