Maroochydore War Memorial
The origonal 1986 Maroochydore War Memorial had outstanding significance as the only one of its type in Queensland. It was designed and built by a local veteran, Hugh Anderson. The memorial replaced a small stone cairn, and displayed four vertical concrete wings which meet in the centre. A wreath inscribed 'Lest We Forget', set around the top. Each wing carried the insignia of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Merchant Navy, with all coming together on a curved stone base. Inlaid stone work formed two lower circular steps, around which was inscribed World War II, Malaya, Borneo and other battle areas. Three flagpoles stood beside the memorial.
The three flagpoles still exist in 2009, but the memorial underwent a dramatic re-furbishment in 2006. The similar shape was retained, but the entire memorial was clad in black marble and the base support modernised with extensive step and paving works. The Service insignia was maintained, and extra plaques were attached to recognise service in conflicts and the dedication of the memorial.
Refer to additional images for more detail.
Refer to additional images for all inscription inclusions.
- Conflicts commemorated
- South Africa War, 1899–1902
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Memorial type
- Additional information
The original memorial was designed and built by Hugh Anderson, an ex-Petty Officer who served with distinction on HMAS Hobart in the Mediterranean and Red Seas, and HMAS Warramunga in the Pacific Ocean and Japan. He designed the Warramunga badge. It was unveiled in 1986
The memorial was re-furbished and unveiled on 20 September 2006, by RSL State President, Brigadier Doug Formby (Retd).
Original shape of the memorial was retained, but modernised with black marble and new plaques.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 27 March 2009