Maryborough (Qld) War Memorial
The memorial is constructed of grey granite rising to a 45 feet high obelisk surmounted by a life-sized winged victory in Carrara marble. On the front and back of the obelisk are raised crosses and bronze lettering. On buttresses forming a cross are life-sized statues, also in Carrara marble, representing the various military services: a soldier, a sailor, an airman and a Red Cross nurse - all standing at ease and based on Italian rather than Australian models. The pedestal has bronze laurel wreaths and tablets bearing the names local citizens who fell in World War I. The front buttresses have additional tablets bearing the names of those who fell in WWII. The monument rests on circular concrete steps and a rock-faced granite base. At night it is illuminated.
Lest We Forget
The pedestal has tablets bearing the names of the 100 local citizens who fell in World War I.
The front buttresses have additional tablets for the 55 who fell in WWII.
Refer to additional images on this page for further plaques and inscriptions.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Memorial type
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 4 March 2009
- Granville (Qld) War Memorial (Digger)
- Maryborough Albert State School War Memorial
- Maryborough Asian Conflicts Memorial
- Maryborough Boer War Honour Board
- Maryborough RAN Memorial
- Maryborough Soldiers Memorial Gates
- Maryborough Walkers Shipyards Memorial
- Maryborough War Veterans Home Memorial
- Poona ANZAC War Memorial
- Tiaro Gallipoli Pine Memorial