ANZAC Square Shrine of Memories
The ANZAC Square Shrine of Memories is a significant record of the service and sacrifice of Queenslanders, Australians and other Nations, in time of war. The Crypt, which is located underneath the Shrine of Remembrance, contains honour boards, memorials, plaques and sculptures, dedicated to military and civilian relatedunits, many uniquely originating from Queensland. The Crypt is a long corridor, housing the memorials on opposing walls and at the end.
There is a World War II specific Shrine of Memories located to the side of the Crypt, which containsan illuminated mosaic and soils from official World War II cemeteries. The mosaic was designed by Mr Don Ross in 1959 as a tribute to the men and women who served in World War II. It comprises over 140,000 small pieces of hand cut Venetian glass enamels. It was unveiled in its new location by His Excellency, Sir James Ramsay, KCMG, KCVO, CBE, DSC, the Governor of Queensland, on 10 August 1984.
At the base of the central pillar in the Shrine, there are boxes containing soil from official World War II cemeteries throughout the world where Australian servicemen and women are buried."
This memorial is part of a group of memorials situated at Anzac Square, Brisbane. A map is available.
Refer to numerous additional images and individual unit plaques. The plaques and memorials housed in the Shrine of Memories are listed separately on the register. They can be located by using the search facility.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Second World War, 1939–1945
- Malayan Emergency, 1948–1960
- Korean War, 1950–1953
- Indonesian Confrontation, 1962–1966
- Vietnam War, 1962–1972
- Gulf War, 1990–1991
- Somalia, 1992–1994
- Peacekeeping, 1947–present
- Unit memorials
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
The Shrine of Memories provides added significance to permant commemoration of Queenslands war service.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor/QLD War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 2 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque