ANZAC Square Shrine of Remembrance
"The Anzac Memorial was established in Anzac Square, Adelaide Street, to perpetuate the memory of approximately 60,000 Queensland men and women who served in the Great War, 1914–1918. The Memorial, 10 metres in diameter, consists of a Grecian Doric circular colonnade of 18 columns which represent the year of peace - 1918. Inscribed within the top coping are the names of the battles in which Australian units figured prominently. Within the enclosure, a bronze urn is centrally placed, emitting a continuous flame, 'The Eternal Flame of Remembrance', symbolic of the faith of the nation's gratitude. On the front wall of the base a commemorative tablet in bronze is affixed. The Memorial is constructed of Helidon sandstone while the steps are Queensland granite. On the level of the square in the south-western corner, access is gained to a crypt where unit memorials are located. On each side of the stairway leading to the Shrine and Eternal Flame there is a large ornamental gold fish pond and water fountains… The memorial was dedicated at 11am on Armistice Day, Tuesday 11 November 1930, by His Excellency, Sir John Goodwin, Governor of Queensland, in the presence of a crowd of many thousands. Each year since, a Remembrance Service has been held on the date at 11.00am." Dawn Services commence 4am each Anzac Day, 25 April.
This memorial is part of a group of memorials situated at Anzac Square, Brisbane. A map is available.
- Names around frieze are ANZAC, Cocos Island, Romani, Jerusalem, Damascus, Pozieres, Bullecourt, Messines, Ypres, Amiens, Villiers Bretonneaux, Mont St Quentin, Hindenberg Line.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Commemorative services held
The Shrine of Remembrance is the central point of focus for commemorative services.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 2 April 2009
- 106 Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF) Plaque
- 11th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 11th Field Company Royal Australian Engineers Plaque
- 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment Memorial
- 15th and 2/15th Australian Battalions Memorials
- 19th Australian Field Ambulance 1939–1945 Plaque
- 1st Aust Corps Troops Supply Column Plaque
- 2/10 Field Regiment RAA Plaque
- 2/11 Field Company RAE Plaque
- 2/12 Field Regiment RAA Plaque