Mitchell B-25 Bombers Collision Memorial
A Memorial plaque dedicated to the United States and Australian Service Personnel who were on board two Mitchell B-25 Bomber aircraft that collided inflight near here on 27 June 1943.
LEST WE FORGET
IT WAS NEAR HERE, ON 27 JUNE 1943,
AT 2.15pm, THAT TWO MITCHELL B25 D
BOMBER'S OF 5 BOMBER COMMAND
REPLACEMENT CENTRE (ASAF) COLLIDED,
RESULTING IN THE DEATHS OF TEN (10) U.S.
PERSONNEL AND ONE AUSTRALIAN SOLDIER.
IT IS BELEIVED THAT TWO OTHER U.S.
PERSONNEL WERE INJURED.
THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED TO THEIR
MEMORY AND WAS UNVEILDED BY
Cr. P. BLACK OAM (DALRYMPLE SHIRE MAYOR)
ON AUGUST 1995.
(A BUFFALO LODGE COMMUNITY
SERVICE PROJECT FOR VP 50)
- Conflicts commemorated
- Memorial type
- Recorded by
- Merle Scott; Queensland War Memorial Register
- Date recorded
- 23 May 2012
- 31/51 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour 1939–1945
- Black Jack State School Honour Board
- Boys Central State School Honour Board
- Charters Towers 26 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honour
- Charters Towers Aerodrome USA Memorial Stone
- Charters Towers Boer War Memorial Kiosk
- Charters Towers Cemetery Memorial Cross
- Charters Towers RSL Breddan Memorial
- Charters Towers RSL South Vietnam Memorial Wall
- Charters Towers Roll of Honour - WWII and Other Wars