Mitchell War Memorial
The First World War Memorial is located in a park setting and is surrounded by cast iron posts with decorative finials. It is the only war memorial of its type in Queensland.
The sandstone and granite memorial sits on a stepped concrete base with the cast iron posts fixed into the lower step. Above this is a smooth faced step capped with a cyma recta moulding. The front face bears the words Their Name Liveth Forever More.
Surmounting the base is a smooth faced step with a chamfered central section on each face. The non-chamfered corners provide bases for columns with Doric order capitals and bases which surround recessed plates of red polished granite. The plates bear an inscription and the cut and (originally) gilded names of the 51 local fallen from the First World War. The uppermost section of the front plate bears an AIF badge.
The four columns support a large entablature comprising a smooth faced fascia and a concave cornice. Each corner is surmounted by large acroteria. Positioned in the centre of the entablature is a red granite column which sits on a square base step. It has a simply moulded base and no capital and is capped by a polished red granite sphere. (Source: Queensland Cultural Heritage Register)
Refer to additional images.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Additional information
The Mitchell War Memorial was unveiled in 1927. It was designed and produced by monumental masonry firm A L Petrie of Toowong, Brisbane and honours the 51 local fallen of the First World War. It cost 464, which was raised by local residents. Unveiled by Major General Sir Thomas W Glasgow whose monument stands Coner Roma and Ann Strees, Brisbane.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 18 March 2009