Port Douglas War Memorial (Digger)
The life-sized digger stands with head bowed and arms reversed, the gun barrel being the only one in Queensland to fit into a slot between the soldier's feet. It is on a white concrete stepped base, with a laurel wreath on the top section. It stands in Anzac Park at the end of the main street.
The smaller plaque on the front reads:
This monument was erected by the ladies of Pt. Douglas and District Red Cross. Unveiled by Mrs C Trezise of Mowbray. October 1923.
The lower plaque reads:
In memory of soldiers of Port Douglas and district who served and fell in The Great War 1914–1918, and lists 37 names above Their name liveth forever.
- Conflicts commemorated
- First World War, 1914–1918
- Memorial type
- Additional information
A Naval mine is behind the war memorial.
- Recorded by
- Shirley and Trevor McIvor
- Date recorded
- 27 February 2009